Friday, May 14, 2010

TSU journalism students produce live newscasts


Texas Southern University journalism students have become the recent radio crew for the KTSU 90.9 newscast during the afternoons.


Under the direction of Professor Serbino Sandifer-Walker, the students write, organize, and run the broadcast in the 4:00p.m., 5:00p.m., and 6:00p.m. slots.


“The students write their own news worthy stories and even work the switch boards at the station,” said Sandifer-Walker. “It is very important for them to know how to run and maintain the show on their own.”


The crew consists of two anchors, a sports correspondent, and the technical producer who runs the switch boards. Every student contributes to the news script and has knowledge of how the work the equipment in the studio.


“Working the newcasts has really been a great opportunity for me because this is what I plan to be doing after I graduate,” said broadcast journalism senior Samantha Thompson.


Professor Sandifer-Walker works closely with the group to make sure the news cast is up to date and that the students stay on schedule.


“I’m more of a supervisor to the students. I let them handle everything,” said Sandifer-Walker.


“Mrs. Walker is very helpful and assists us when we need it,” said graduating senior Jerrod Celestine.


KTSU has been in existence since 1972 and has served the Houston community with news and entertainment. It is also home of its own Jazz Hall of Fame, featuring prominent jazz musician from TSU and the world.


“Having the students start at KTSU gives them the experience and the exposure that they will need to succeed in the industry,” said Sandifer-Walker. “This station is rich with history and I want to share that with my students.”

No comments:

Post a Comment